Why InnovoSIL™ Antimicrobial Silver?
Innovotech has developed our antimicrobial silver (InnovoSIL™-1 silver) product after years of intense research and testing of antimicrobials.
Silver (Ag) and Ag ions have been used to coat medical devices, however many products have suffered from poor solubility and a poor silver release profile. Rapid inactivation in bodily fluids is also an issue. The antimicrobials on many medical devices are designed for planktonic bacteria and have limited effect against biofilms. There are many challenges with coating/incorporation of active silver which the InnovoSIL™ family line has overcome.
InnovoSIL™-1 silver offers:
BEST Assay™ Anti-Adherence Testing
SEM Images – 14-day conditioning followed by challenge with C. albicans
Unique silver (I) chemistry
- Ag(I) is located in both cation and anion, where it is coordinated to high oxidation state iodine
- Increased mechanisms of action from combining iodine and silver reduces likelihood of development of bacterial resistance
- Coordination with iodine stabilizes silver, allowing for better biofilm penetration
- Slow release material allows for maintenance of a consistent concentration in solution over long periods of time
- Dark brown colored
Effective against a broad spectrum of clinically-relevant bacteria and fungi
- When coated onto a surface, prevents adherence and kills surrounding planktonic microorganisms for at least one month
- Eliminates mature biofilms in less than 24h
- Generates total kill of planktonic microorganisms in less than 0.5h in standard log reduction assay
- Demonstrates superior activity to a number of commercially available silver-containing wound dressings
Readily incorporated into or coated onto medical device materials
- Natural and synthetic polymers used in catheters, wound dressings, and other medical devices, including polyurethane, polyvinyl chloride, latex, silicone, high density polyethylene, polyester, rayon, cotton, and others
- Metals used in implants, surgical instruments, needles, and other applications, including medical grades of titanium, aluminum, and stainless steel
- Gels, including various hydrogels, silicone gels, and lubricants
- Long shelf life, photostable, good thermal stability
- Autoclaveable, compatible with ethylene oxide treatment
- Short term stability in the presence of water, saline, and various solvents used in polymer processing
- Simple manufacturing process with high yield and purity
- Relatively small quantities required for excellent activity
Material Transfer Agreements
Innovotech currently has Material Transfer Agreements in place with potential partners in various fields who are testing InnovoSIL™-1 antimicrobial silver for inclusion in their future product pipelines.
Partnering with Innovotech
Innovotech is ready to work with partners interested in using InnovoSIL™-1 antimicrobial silver to provide the antimicrobial activity needed for their products. For more information or to request test material, please contact us via email@example.com
Coming Up: InnovoSIL™-2 and -3 Antimicrobial Silvers
Innovotech is currently developing two unique antimicrobial silver agents which contain high oxidation state silver – Ag(III):
- Novel silver (III) chemistry
- Ag(III) is located in the anion, coordinated to high oxidation state iodine
- The iodine protects and stabilizes the Ag(III), allowing it to penetrate biofilms
- Increased mechanisms of action, decreased likelihood of resistance development
- Medium and high solubility compounds allow for additional application options
- Can be used in spray form either directly or for coating purposes
- Relatively stable in solution
- Rapid broad spectrum activity
- Initial testing has shown exciting results in terms of rapid activity against mature biofilms in a broad spectrum of bacteria and fungi
- Unique manufacturing method has been developed and is currently being optimized
Once the manufacturing method has been optimized, these materials will be available for potential partners to test out. Check back here for upcoming opportunities to work with these exciting new materials!
For further information contact us.
Note: None of the compounds in the InnovoSIL™ family have been registered with any government environmental or health regulating agency, nor have they received any regulatory body approval for use as an antimicrobial agent in any application.